The Atkins diet achieved peak fad status in 2004, and though it’s since been replaced by trendy new ways of Titusville Wildlife Removal, it’s had a lasting impact on how people view weight loss. Atkins recommended that dieters reduce their intake of carbohydrates. But that can be more difficult than it sounds. Here are a few simple ways to cut carbohydrates from your diet without sacrificing all of your favorite foodstuffs.
1. Lose the Juice- Fruit juice is not as healthy as people once thought. It lacks the fiber of whole fruit, as well as 100% fruit juice is loaded with sugar and carbohydrates. Cutting out fruit juice from your diet may eliminate a source of carbohydrates you might not have even been watching out for.
2. If you can not resist eating pizza, opt for the thin crust variety as opposed to deep dish. You can still get your cheese and tomato sauce fix without eating as many carbohydrates.
3. Wrap It Up- Sacrificing sandwiches and burgers is one of the toughest things about going low carb. The solution? Substitute lettuce wraps for the bun on your burger or the bread in your turkey sandwich. You’ll drastically lower the carb content and still have something to grip.
4. Substitute Your Spaghetti- A spiralizer is the kitchen invention you never knew you needed-and it is surprisingly cheap, with many going for under $30.
5. Replace Your Rice- Rice, like pasta, is a carb-heavy starch that is omnipresent in many cuisines. But you don’t need to give up on Chinese or Indian food entirely just because you’re counting carbs. Attempt subbing in riced cauliflower. It’s got a similar feel and absorbency, and once it’s loaded up with broccoli or curry beef, you’ll hardly notice a difference.
6. Alter Your Chips- Potato chips are one of those snacks that it’s really difficult to forego. If you’re craving that crunch, try kale chips, which offer the identical snackability with fewer carbohydrates and a host of other health benefits.
7. Proceed with Protein for Breakfast- Even healthy breakfast cereals like granola and oatmeal are high in carbohydrates. But if you begin your day with a protein, particularly eggs, you won’t get off on the wrong foot. Eating protein early in the day also kick-starts your digestive tract and can help you start burning fat when you exercise.
8. Skip the Starch- While you want veggies to stay healthy on your low carb diet, you need to prevent the starchier varieties. Potatoes are a clear no-go, but so are sweet potatoes, despite being healthy otherwise. Other covertly starchy veggies include peas, carrots, and corn. The next time you will need a vegetable side or want to add something to a salad, hit for some bell peppers, broccoli, asparagus, or artichokes.
The paleo and keto diets both have a page from Atkins’ book by suggesting you cut back on carbohydrates. If you’re following both of these diets, or the many others that recommend a reduced carb intake, the tips above can help!